PART A. HOW THE STOCK MARKET WORKS (500 words)
You work for an investment house, based in City, and are required to write 500
words for a client explaining the workings of the stock market including some of the
risks involved with equity investments.
PART B. STOCK MARKET INVESTMENT (1300 words)
Chose four companies listed in the FTSE 100 (each from different industry
sectors), and, over a seven week period, demonstrate how the weekly share price
may fluctuate or remain steady.
• You will show this by using Excel and data presentation techniques.
• You are also required to explain the reasons behind the fluctuation (or
stability) of the shares in the companies you have chosen, and compare this
data to movement in the index value over the same period.
• Include a profile outline about the companies you have chosen including a
summary of relevant investor, financial data and capture of potential
developments and share price performance for each company.
• Additional Evaluation include in your report as separate appendices (see
lecture session 5):
- Comparative evaluation of FTSE Index performance against another major
international share index over the tracking period.
- For one tracked company provide a comparative evaluation with a
competitor who is NOT listed on LSE.
• An investment recommendation for one of the companies must be included.
• You are also asked to comment on the advantages and disadvantages of any
techniques you have used to support your analysis.
GUIDELINES REPORT STRUCURE FOR COURSEWORK
- Terms of reference:
This report is for…………, of the IBLS, and was submitted on (date). The report is in two
parts. The first part explains how the stock market works; the second part outlines certain
aspects of the workings of the stock market.
- Introduction / Procedure:
For Part A, – How the stock market works: Overview of how the stock market works
including risks associated with equity investment.
For Part B, – Stock market investment: Four companies listed in the FTSE 100 were
chosen and tracked over a seven week period and data collected, presented and analysed.
Explanation is also given on the techniques used to support the analysis presented.
- Findings (Part A – 500 words)
3.1 How the stock market works.
3.2 Risks associated with equity investment
- Findings (Part B – 1300 words)
4.1 Brief profile outline about the companies you have chosen including a summary of
relevant investor, financial data and capture of potential developments and share
price performance for each company.
4.2 Illustrate and provide explanation for the fluctuations of the share prices over the
seven-week period, and include comparative evaluation (eg with the index value).
4.3 Comment on the advantages and disadvantages of any techniques you have used
to support your analysis.
- Conclusions: To include a recommendation, with justifications, of an investment
opportunity for one of the companies. This must be supported by data and graphs to
show how an investment of £10,000 in this company develops over the seven-week
- Appendices: (Maximum 500 words)
Include in your report the required Additional Evaluation as separate appendices (see
lecture session 5 for details) and page 15 above.
- Bibliography of all sources used must be provided.
Type of assignment: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: Research paper
Number of sources: 5
Academic level: Bachelor
Paper format: Harvard
Line spacing: Single
Language style: UK English