Learning plays a vital role in the success of organizations. All employees in an organization must do their best and work together to help the organization be successful. Peter Senge, in his book The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization, indicated the characteristics of a learning organization, as follows (2006):
- There exists a shared vision that everyone agrees on.
- People discard their old ways of thinking and the standard routines they use for solving problems or doing their jobs.
- Members think of all organizational processes, activities, functions, and interactions with the environment as part of a system of interrelationships.
- People openly communicate with each other (across vertical and horizontal boundaries without fear of criticism or punishment.
- People sublimate their personal self-interest and fragmented departmental interests to work together to achieve the organization’s shared vision.
However, defining a learning organization has always been difficult, as discussed in this video. Without the ability to grow through change, the organization will eventually lose its ability to sustain itself and the organization will go out of business, as discussed in this video. Conduct research on learning organizations by accessing the CTU Library and using a minimum of three scholarly articles on the subject matter along with other information derived from other sources.
Focus your discussion on the following:
- What is the role of the leader in creating an atmosphere that enables the learning organization?
- In addition to creating the learning organization’s atmosphere, what must the leader do every day within the learning organization to create optimum conditions to help his or her team to survive and thrive with change?
- What has occurred in your organization that has led to a successful learning organization?
- How do the concepts of change management and learning organizations align to form organizations that are able to more readily adapt to their changing environment to improve or sustain their market position and continuously add value to their performance?
Type of assignment: Essay