Patchwork assignment; “a critical discussion
• Four (4) pieces of written work comprising;
• Three (3) written critiques of original published research papers
demonstrating your knowledge of diverse issues such as different types research
methods, different populations or different research issues such as ethics, governance,
bias, sampling, reliability and so on.
• You may choose to include papers reporting on similar populations/
methods, but which have differing findings from each other.
• Key question is WHY?
• Final piece is a reflective account of how your choice of research articles
critiqued have helped shaped your own learning journey towards
becoming an accomplished evidenced based mental health nurse.
• Each of your four (4) written pieces should be no more than 1000 words in
Demonstrate understanding of theoretical
• 1. Appreciate the centrality of users and carers in the research
• 2. Develop a detailed understanding of a range of research methods
and approaches as well as their application of findings to support
evidence based mental health nursing practice
• 3. Critically explore the need to consider ethical and research
governance policies and procedures.
Demonstrate skills of research appreciation
• 1. Demonstrate a skilful approach in accessing and systematically
searching the literature from a range of sources, recognising the
multidisciplinary and multi stakeholder contribution to research.
• 2. Be able to critically analyse research and the evidence base relating
to mental health nursing practice.
• 3. Be able to critically discuss, share and apply research findings to
contribute to the delivery of effective evidence based mental health
Type of assignment: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: essay
Number of sources: 5
Academic level: Bachelor
Paper format: APA
Line spacing: Double
Language style: UK English