The Disease Models
For this assignment, imagine you are a counselor working in a disease model treatment program. Select one of the case studies you were introduced to in the last unit. The person in your selected case study will represent the “client” who is seeking help from your program.
Complete the following sections for this assignment:
● Introduction—In this section of the paper:
○ Identify the client from the case study and briefly summarize the client’s demographic characteristics and addictive
behavior history that are relevant to the disease models of addiction. This section sets the stage for the next sections.
● Applications of Disease Models—In this section:
○ Apply your understanding of the disease models of addiction to your client. Do client demographics and history
suggest that your client suffers from a disease of addiction? Based on your interpretation, what disease model
treatment strategies might you recommend for this client?
● Sociocultural Factors and the Disease Models—Finally, in the last section:
○ Describe how sociocultural factors (“medicalization” of addictions through diagnoses, medical treatment,
pharmacotherapy, genetic influences, brain scans, and media portrayal of addictions) may affect the client’s perception
of the problem and the addictive behavior.
○ Describe factors that may contribute to the addictive behavior as well as factors that may be helpful in overcoming the
addiction from the perspective of the disease models of addiction.
● Length: The paper should be 2–3 pages, excluding the title page and resources page.
● References: Throughout your paper, apply relevant research findings from scholarly literature using in-text citations to
support your reasoning. Include references for each of your citations in a separate reference page at the end of your paper.
DEMOGRAPHICS AND COMORBIDITY
45–year–old Irish Catholic Caucasian male, divorced, two children ages 20 and 18, youngest lives with mother, oldest lives outside home and attends community
college, has an older brother and father who abuse alcohol and live in same city. Earned high school diploma, served in military with honorable discharge.
Maintains gainful employment in the construction industry.
Lives alone in modest apartment, dates women he meets in local bars. Maintains contact with brother and father, with whom he enjoys drinking, but brother and
father drink much more than he does and they have each experienced multiple DUIs and arrests for public intoxication. Enjoys drinking with his peers from the
construction company, and drinking is typically excessive. Alcohol is involved in almost all social situations, his “way of life.” Participates in local church only for
major religious events.
Began drinking alcohol as a teen with peers. Drinking increased after enlistment in military with episodes of extreme alcohol abuse, but never impacted his
military work performance that resulted in sanctions. His construction work performance can be negatively impacted from abuse of alcohol, but there is a high
tolerance for drinking behavior in his industry and he has not been sanctioned for poor work performance.
Received court-ordered treatment after first DUI conviction three years ago. Was required to complete months of abstinence from alcohol and had to provide
random urine screens to verify his abstinence. Successfully completed the treatment program without incident. Despite this criminal conviction and treatment, he
does not perceive himself as an “alcoholic”.
REASON FOR SEEKING TREATMENT
Received his second DUI conviction in three years due to a severe automobile accident with minor injuries to himself and severe injuries to the driver and
passengers in the other car. He has been court–ordered to treatment after serving time in jail. He will also have to see a probation counselor, submit random
urine screens, and lose his driver’s license for one year.
Pages 3 Double spaced(825 words)
Style and sources APA7, 1 source
Bibliography / Reference page
Study level Bachelor
Assignment type Essay
Subject Health and Medicine