To develop an effective response against HIV, countries need to tailor policies and programmes to the local social, economic and political context.
The Hensen Trust Fund has £50m to spend on funding interventions to help end the HIV epidemic at a country level.
You have been asked to develop an outline proposal to guide how these funds might best be used.
In the following country: South Africa
The assignment models a Global Fund application to a country coordinating body.
The Global Fund partnership raises and invests money to support programmes run by local experts in countries and communities most in need.
A coordinating board in each country takes the lead in determining where and how best to fight HIV / TB/ Malaria in their country. Local experts and partners can apply to the coordinating body for grants to deliver programmes to tackle these diseases.
The assignment should be presented as a structured report, comprising
(1) a Country Profile and
(2) your proposed recommendations for intervention(s) to end the HIV epidemic:
(1) A Country Profile (50%): You will conduct a situation analysis of HIV in your chosen country, including a situation assessment and response assessment. This country profile should include: • The main demographic features of the country • The epidemiology of HIV in the country • The relevant social/economic and political context relating to HIV in the country (include social, political and economic barriers/facilitators that play a role) • The programs in place responding to HIV, and the national and international funding initiatives and sources for HIV programs (for example PEPFAR or Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria.) • The country’s progress towards ending the epidemic (compare progress against international targets) • The key gaps in HIV programming that are relevant to your particular country.
(2) Recommendation (50%): Write a recommendation to your country’s government advising them how to spend the £50 million from the Hensen Trust on HIV interventions. Your recommendation should propose intervention(s) that address key gaps in the country’s response to the HIV epidemic. You should describe the rationale for your intervention(s), the methodologies you will use to implement your intervention(s) and how they fit in with existing interventions already in place in the country. You should
provide a timeline, describe the likely impact of your intervention(s) and how you plan to evaluate them.
Finally, you will need to provide a budget that shows broad category allocation of the funding. Please note that a detailed budget or costing is not required.
The submission should be a maximum of 4 A4 pages (excluding references). We ask that the country profile is a maximum of 3 pages and the recommendation should be 1 page, including the budget. In total the word count should not exceed 2500 words. A standard font (of your choice) should be used with single spacing. A narrow font (e.g. Arial Narrow) is not permitted. Margins should be a minimum of 0.5. Bullet pointing, tables, diagrams and flow charts, especially in recommendations, are allowed
and even encouraged.
You should provide and cite references to the literature or reports where appropriate. The recommendation section of this assignment does not have to be heavily referenced. References can be on an additional separate page and should be cited using a standard convention (such as Harvard).
For a general overview of your country’s demographics, the HIV epidemic and their response to it, try looking at the following websites:
• UNAIDS • World Bank • WHO • Avert • NIH’s National institute of Allergies and Infectious disease
WORD LIMIT: 2500
- Demographic, economic and political structures
- HIV prevalence
- High-risk groups
- National response to HIV
- Drivers of HIV among key populations
Please use a font size no smaller than 12 point. Write in your own words. All sources must be cited in the text and a reference list must be provided at the end of the document. If an assignment includes tables or figures, please include these graphics within the Word document rather than uploading several different attachments or parts of an assignment. It is recommended that if you use tables or figures to illustrate your answer that these are not disproportionate in size compared to the text.
It is generally recommended that you use no more than three tables or figures.
Please note that tables and figure legends should be included in the word count 2500. Only references and appendices are excluded, and appendices (if used) should only include additional material which is
not intended to be marked as part of the assignment.
For an essay type task, adding in a diagram is an effective way of quickly and clearly illustrating key points. Diagrams can be ones you have produced yourself, which is preferable, or sourced from published work, if appropriate.
For assignment tasks that specifically ask you to draw a diagram as part of the task it is important that this is your own work i.e. you have drawn the diagram yourself. Diagrams will be judged on their content and clarity and not on their artistic merit so please don’t worry if art is not your strong point.
Diagrams can either be drawn by hand on paper and scanned, or produced electronically using a graphics or drawing program, then inserted into Word. (Please use the “insert” command rather than
“copy” and “paste”). However, any diagrams, figures, schematics or lifecycles must be labelled with a figure legend, properly cited and acknowledged, relevant and referred to in the text.
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: Report
Number of sources: 2
Academic level: Undergraduate
Paper format: Harvard
Line spacing: Single
Language style: UK English