Notes: this is Scots Law and please read the additional materials. use Harvard style referencing, but as endnotes and a reference list. So no integral references in the text.
The assessment is designed to demonstrate the practical application of law and policy through detailed scrutiny and reporting of a recent planning application in Aberdeen, Scotland.
A dedicated recording sets out guidance and requirements in relation to this assignment.
View the documents associated with this planning application Aberdeen Market, Market Street City
Centre Aberdeen: Reference: 190312/DPP.
Major development consisting of demolition and redevelopment of the existing site to form a mixed
use office-led development (Class 4) (circa 18,000 sqm), with retail (Class 1), financial and
professional (Class 2), food and drink (Class 3), public house (Sui Generis) and assembly and leisure
(Class 11) uses (circa 750sqm), landscaping, public realm, car parking and associated works.
Note in particular the Committee report dated 23 April 2020, the letters of representation and the
petition submitted in response to the submission of the planning application.
Prepare a report about the planning application process for this site. Include the following information.
1. Introduce the report with a description of the site, its location and the existing buildings and uses of the site.
2. Explain the proposal in more detail than the basic description.
3. Explain the decision-making process making appropriate reference to section 25 of the Town
and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997. Describe the balance between the Local
Development Plan policies and ‘material considerations’, include reference to the draft plan.
4. Summarise what you consider to be the 3 most important conditions attached to the planning
permission. Explain briefly the implications of these for the development.
5. Set out the difference between a planning condition and a planning obligation.
6. Conclude the report by setting out your views on the planning determination process for this
The style for this submission is a report, with Endnotes and a list of references.
The report should not exceed 1750 words. Word count to be noted (references not excluded).
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Research Paper
Pages / words-7 / 1750
Number of sources-0
Language style-UK English