Research Paper Instructions
Research a specific mental disorder within the realm of Abnormal Psychology. The topic must be one which is discussed in the course textbook and described in the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
The length of the body of the paper must be at least 7 pages, and must not exceed 10 pages of summarized research findings in current APA format (Student Standards). All sources used must be scholarly journals.
In addition to this, include a current APA-style title page, and reference page; these do not count toward the minimum number of pages required. The paper must be organized with sub-headings reflecting the required sections (I–IX).
The research paper will address the following aspects, organized in this order:
- Title Page: APA-style (Student Standards)
Introduction: Introduce and describe the topic. Discuss the DSM classification for the disorder, including a discussion of the specific criteria as described in the DSM (1/2 page).
Historical: Describe the disorder in a historical context (how the view of disorder has changed over time, how cause/treatment options have changed, etc). (1 page).
Cause of the Illness: Current research as to the cause of the illness (1 page).
Treatment: Various treatment approaches for this disorder, including the benefits of the treatment (1 page).
Prevention: Research as to the prevention of the illness (1 page).
Cross Cultural: Cross-cultural issues pertaining to the topic (1 page).
Biblical Worldview: Discuss the topic from a Christian worldview perspective, including disorder’s cause, treatment, and prevention. Utilize the Bible and a journal source written from a biblical/theological perspective on the topic (1 page).
Conclusion: Include a closing summary of the research, including ideas for future research on the topic (1/2 page).
IX. References: APA-style. See also Research Paper Grading Rubric and instructions.
- Organize the paper according to directions. Include current APA-style Level 1 headings. Do not use Roman numerals.
- The use of 3rd person point of view is expected for this type of scholarly research assignment.
- Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation is expected in writing at this level.
- Include not more than ½ page of directly quoted material. Directly quoted material in excess of ½ page would not count towards length/content requirements of the paper.
- Current APA formatting is required.
- Course textbook is not permitted as a source.
- All sources must be journal articles dated within the past 10 years.
Type of service: Academic paper writing
Type of assignment: Research paper
Number of sources: 2
Academic level: Undergraduate
Paper format: MLA
Line spacing: Double
Language style: US English