Women’s Health Assessment
It is anticipated that the initial discussion response should be in the range of 250-300 words. Response posts must demonstrate topic knowledge and scholarly engagement with peers.
This is not the only criteria utilized for evaluation; substantive content is imperative. All questions in the topic must be addressed. Please proofread your response carefully for grammar and spelling. Do not upload any attachments.
All responses need to be supported by a minimum of one scholarly resource. Journals and websites must be cited appropriately. Citation and reference must adhere to APA format.
Students are expected to initially address the discussion question by Wednesday of each week. Participation in the discussion forums is expected with a minimum total of three (3) substantive postings (this includes your initial posting and posting to two peers) on three (3) different days per week. Substantive means that you add something new to the discussion, you aren’t just agreeing. This is also a time to ask questions or offer information surrounding the topic addressed by your peers. Personal experience is appropriate for a substantive discussion and should be correlated to the literature.
All discussion boards will be evaluated utilizing rubric criterion inclusive of content, analysis, collaboration, writing and APA. If you fail to post an initial discussion you will not receive these points, you may however post to your peers for partial credit following the guidelines above. Due to the nature of this type of assignment and the need for timely responses for initial posts and posting to peers, the Make-Up Coursework Policy (effective July 2017) does not apply to Discussion Board Participation.
Discussion Prompt [Due Wednesday]
C.S. is a 19 year old female client who presents to the clinic with an acute upper respiratory infection. She is 15 weeks pregnant and has not established prenatal care. This is her second pregnancy. To date she has had no weight gain and takes phenytoin for a seizure disorder.
C.S. is a single mother. She has a 16 month old son at home. She has a high school diploma. She is not working. The father of her son is not involved nor is the father of the baby. She does not have a great support network in place. Ms. S is a 1 ppd smoker and has a poor diet. She drinks several cups of coffee and cola per day. She sleeps an average of 4 – 5 hours per night. Her stress level is high as result of financial struggles and single parenting. She denies any other complications or prolonged illnesses or injuries. She denies any alcohol or illicit drug use.
- Of the following, what are C.S’s risk factors:
- Substance use/abuse
- Sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise and personal fitness
- Exposure to intimate partner, family, or stranger violence?
- Provide a rationale for your selections.
- What additional questions should be asked to gain an understanding of the present illness?
- What would be included in the review of systems?
- Discuss the elements of an abbreviated physical examination.
- List 2 community resources in your area to which you could refer Ms. S.
Responses need to address all components of the question, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis, and include peer reviewed journal evidence to support the student’s position.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets the criteria.
Estimated time to complete: 2 hours
Unit 2 – Required Resources
- Alexander, I.M., Johnson-Mallard, V., Kostas-Polston, E.A., Fogal, C.I., & Woods, N.F. (2017). Women’s health care in advanced practice nursing.(2nd. ed.), New York, NY:Springer Publishing Company. ISBN: 978-0-8261-9001-7
- Chapter 8 (pages 139-153)
- Chapter 9 (pages 160-181)
- Chapter 10(pages 196-204)
- Chapter 16
- Carcio, H.A, & Secor, R.M. (2019). Advanced health assessment of women: Clinical skills and procedures.(4th. ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company. ISBN: 978-0-8261-2424-1
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 34
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). https://doi.org/10.1037/0000165-000
- As needed in all scholarly writing activities
Guidelines and Articles
ACOG (2014). The initial reproductive health visit (Links to an external site.). Committee on Adolescent Health Care. [Digital resource]. Retrieved from https://www.acog.org/-/media/project/acog/acogorg/clinical/files/committee-opinion/articles/2014/05/the-initial-reproductive-health-visit.pdf
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2019). A guide to taking a sexual history (Links to an external site.). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/sexualhistory.pdf
Type of service-Academic paper writing
Type of assignment-Coursework
Pages / words-1 / 275
Number of sources-1